Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Teaser Tuesday - Gaudy Night

is hosted by Should be Reading.


TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:
  1. Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page.
  2. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  3. Also share the title of the book that the “teaser” comes from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given! Please avoid spoilers!
Miss Hillyard stated that she had received them on a Saturday morning and taken them to her own rooms (which were on Miss Lydgate's staircase and on the floor immediately above). She had subsequently taken them into the Library (that is to say, the Library in Tudor, now about to be superseded by the New Library), and had there worked upon them for some time with the aid of some reference books.

~ p. 86, Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers. (I have a weak spot for any author that uses subsequently and superseded so effectively in one sentence!)

Read my reviews of the preceding Lord Peter and Harriet Vane mysteries here: Strong Poison and Have His Carcase.

5 comments:

jlshall said...

I love all the Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane mysteries. Especially "Gaudy Night" because of the library setting - I'm such a book freak. Great teasers!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a lovely piece ofwriting. I love the I love all the Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane mysteries too, and one day soon I'm going to go right back to the beginnining and reread them all in order..

Cecelia said...

Sounds a bit like the Clue board game brought to life. Interesting teaser!

You can check out mine here.

Susan said...

Great teaser! You can check out my teaser here.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Good teaser - I'll have to check this book out.